A site for beginners and struggling intermediates
Oil painting can be so very enjoyable, but it can also be frustrating. A lack of basic knowledge can seriously undermine your creativity. Learning about the fundamentals will not only help you to know where you want to go, but also how to get there.
This site is dedicated to give you the resources and knowledge you need to explore your artistic curiosity with confidence.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Confused about Oil Painting Materials?
I remember wandering around through the isles of art supply stores, bewildered, not really knowing what I needed, and bought stuff that did not do what I expected or that I ended up never using – sounds familiar?
After years of striving to understand what all of these different bottles, tubes and brushes were for, I ended up creating an oil painting course for beginners – the course that I wanted to take when I was starting out!
I am presently working hard to make this course available online very soon. These are just some of the questions I’ll be tackling:
- What is gesso and why would I need it?
- When would I use underpainting? (what’s underpainting?!)
- What is the best way to transfer my drawing?
- Is oil painting dangerous/toxic?
- What’s the difference between Student grade and Artist grade oil paints?
- Why are some paint tubes so much more expensive than others?
- Why shouldn’t linseed oil be used straight from the bottle?
- What’s different about alkyd painting mediums like Liquin?
- Why do some colors on a painting sometimes become chalky and dull?
If these questions resonate with you and you think learning the basics would be of great help, then this course is for you.
By the end, you’ll have a good understanding of oil painting materials and how to properly use them – from how to choose and prepare your surfaces, to understanding the mysteries of painting mediums, to how to varnish your paintings. A lot of useful information and suggestions which will help you make clear choices, not only in your purchases, but in your creativity as well.
Check out my blog, or better yet, subscribe to my newsletter to stay in the loop (fill out the form above). Who knows, there might be an early bird discount
Looking for a Book? A Video? A Store?
Check out our Resource Hub where you’ll find a wealth of information to help guide you on your artistic journey!